Found a broken printable link? Check my Free Printables page. All the links there are redirected and fixed.

Friday, April 8, 2011

OYOL, Week 13- Before and After

I have a LOT of stress causing clutter spots in my house, but probably the one that is most frustrating is my kitchen counter. It's kinda hard to make dinner when there's canisters strewn across the work surface, along with cereal boxes from breakfast, sippy cups from who knows when, dirty dishes overflow, stray receipts, odd toys (no idea why they're there -except some kid put them there), and just about anything else you can imagine.

So that's the clutter spot I chose for this week.

Here's the two befores...

Now this is a bit drastic. It was the morning after shopping day and I still had groceries I hadn't put away yet. This is not what it looks like on a typical day, but it is what it looked like when I started to declutter it.



Here's what it looked like after I awoke from a nap and found that my husband had put away the left over groceries for me. That was nice. He gained cookie points for that one. This is what it looks like on a typical day... not very functional at all. It's so aggravating to have to move junk out of the way to cook.



And here's the after. It's not as perfect as I like, but it's much, much better. It took me 2 1/2 days, and I've been trying very hard to keep it clear. It's amazing how quickly things get put back on it... like a matter of minutes, and it's like... "Where did that come from??"

(The razor is there because our room is completely empty, due to remodeling, and we do not have a bathroom counter (well, ok so we do.. it's only like 2-3" beyond the sink), so it's currently living in the kitchen until we get our bedroom back.



Here is the fire hazard counter I decluttered during my two week blog sebaticle. I do not have a before picture. I didn't think to take one before I started, but if you've ever visited my house, you probably know what it was like. Here is the side of the fridge before. I did manage a picture of that before I cleaned it up.



The counter and side of the fridge right after I decluttered it. It almost looks exactly the same today, except I got a laminator since then, so I laminated the routine and laminated our menu schedule planning chart thingy, so it's hanging up there too. 



 And this is my favorite organizing tool so far... the "If I accomplish only one thing" paper, not the cute kids in the photos. I found it Baca Creative. I laminated it so I could write in my #1 task for the day every day. As you can see here, I tried to put two on there. Didn't make a difference. I still only accomplished one of those.

The reason it is my favorite is because Aaron looks at it every day, and if I haven't gotten to that one thing yet, he helps me, if he can, by either doing it or making it possible for me to do it. Isn't that nice? If only I had known that all I had to do was write it down in his plain sight. ha ha.


5 comments:

  1. Way to go! Kitchens are hard since we spend so much time in them. Just decluttered ours yesterday. Now that I've put the toaster away I'm sure the kids will get on a toast kick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to our records you might be due a microwave upgrade. Please contact me at 1-800-000-0000 as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to make myself a "Only one thing" card. With Baby due in 5 weeks, I'm starting to slow down and need to prioritize. Your decluttering is inspiring. I have a few areas that need some work. . . maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    I tried to call the number you provided, in order to claim my free microwave, but apparently the number is no longer in use. Could you have typed it wrong?


    Christina, you're so close to your due date and I am sure you're pretty uncomfortable. It's ok to let the clutter be for a while. I promise it won't bother me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work!! Our kitchen counter wraps around so that there is a large area where someone can sit on the other side to chat or eat...well they can when that area is clear. This is right near the back door where we usually enter the house and collects clutter at record breaking speeds! I cleared it two weeks ago when we were hosting a birthday party and it now looks like I have never touched it. I am inspired to have another go and see if I can actually keep it clear:)

    ReplyDelete